Skip to main content

Confederate Johnnie Cake recipe By Campbell Culver (Lawrence)

Confederate Johnnie Cake Recipe

Dear father,
Its Lawrence your son. I have been working really hard on the sea. I really never get to talk to you and mom, but I found some free time. But I still have to work today so this can’t be that long. I know how you and mom LOVE the Johnnie Cake Recipe so I decided to make it for yall and send it to both of you. It didn’t take that long to long to make so I didn’t miss a lot of work. I want to see both of you because I miss you both SO much! My boss is now calling me so I will try and write you again later.
Love Always,
Lawrence

Here's the recipe if you want to make it....

-two cups of cornmeal
-2/3 cup of milk Supplies
-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
-2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
The Johnny cake is a cornmeal flatbread.
Mix ingredients into a stiff batter and form eight biscuit-sized "dodgers". Bake on a lightly greased sheet at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty five minutes or until brown. Or, spoon the batter into hot cooking oil in a frying pan over a low flame. Remove the corn dodgers and let cool on a paper towel, spread with a little butter or molasses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adoption day

Dear Susan, As you know today is my adoption day, but we are on the run from the dreadful yanks. My wonderful general has baked me and my regiments a cake to congratulate me. I broke down in tears at the thoughtfulness he shows even in such a dire time as this one. Our general has some humor and that is what we love about him, he wrote HAIL DIXIE on the cake. I hope y’all are really safe and that the yanks have not marched on our home. As we exit this dreadful time I really hope to see you again and until that time I will keep praying for your safety. With love Sergeant Fred Bloom Jr.

Enlistment Blog

Dearest Susan,

Everyday I am away from you I become more and more longing for your sugar sweet voice and your soft embrace, and though I think of you every moment of the day I fear I cannot last much longer. This bloody war the north have started will, I fear, will be the death of the south and the safety of the black man. This war has thought me more than a school could ever teach a man. I was thinking of our little boy and I was wondering how his schooling was going and if he would like a rifle and the proper equipment, this would be hard to come by but if he found pleasure in these items I would be more than delighted to oblige.

Sincerely,
       Fred Bloom Jr.