Skip to main content
1. "All Quiet Along the Potomac"
"The Picket-Guard" was published in Harper’s Weekly in 1861 which was a poem written by Ethel Lynn Beers. The poem is about a guard who is shot in the dark by a rifleman. The poem was turned into a song which is called, “All Quiet Along the Potomac". It tells the story about the marching or soldiers and their deaths. It represents the tragedy of the war and it also made men oblivious to the death of the war.

2. "
Maryland, My Maryland"
The song, "Maryland, My Maryland was first a poem that attempted to reassure the Southerners. It gave them hope for wether or not Maryland would secede. Even though there were politically wrong phrases, it referred Northerners as "scum" and became a very popular song in the South. The importance of the song raised good morals.

3. "The Bonnie Blue Flag”
Harry Macarthy created the song, “The Bonnie Blue Flag”, based off of the Mississippi secession convention in January 1861. The song was written to a traditional Irish tune. Harry changed some of the lyrics which is what made the song famous. The new verse was, “Fighting for our liberty with treasure, blood, and toil." These lyrics encouraged the South to not only defend their belongings; such as slaves and political rights, but to also fight for all of freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enlistment Blog

Dearest Susan,

Everyday I am away from you I become more and more longing for your sugar sweet voice and your soft embrace, and though I think of you every moment of the day I fear I cannot last much longer. This bloody war the north have started will, I fear, will be the death of the south and the safety of the black man. This war has thought me more than a school could ever teach a man. I was thinking of our little boy and I was wondering how his schooling was going and if he would like a rifle and the proper equipment, this would be hard to come by but if he found pleasure in these items I would be more than delighted to oblige.

Sincerely,
       Fred Bloom Jr.

Adoption day

Dear Susan, As you know today is my adoption day, but we are on the run from the dreadful yanks. My wonderful general has baked me and my regiments a cake to congratulate me. I broke down in tears at the thoughtfulness he shows even in such a dire time as this one. Our general has some humor and that is what we love about him, he wrote HAIL DIXIE on the cake. I hope y’all are really safe and that the yanks have not marched on our home. As we exit this dreadful time I really hope to see you again and until that time I will keep praying for your safety. With love Sergeant Fred Bloom Jr.