Skip to main content

Letter about the War- Demi

Dear Mom,
I'm happy to report to you that you'll finally be able to sleep at night knowing that my brothers and I will be coming home unharmed. Unfortunately, if you haven't heard we, the Confederate's, have surrendered. We will become apart of the Union once more, but we won't be in our hearts. Lincoln's assassination is about the only good news lately. Hopefully our new president will appreciate what the South does. I'm devastated about how this war has ended. If only I could turn back time and change one thing that would make the Confederate States of America win. At least it still lives on in my heart. Instead of mourning our loss, we should celebrate how hard and dedicated we were and how close we came to winning. I love you mom, but by the time you read this you'll already know everything in it. I'll be home before you get this hopefully. Could you tell dad the good and bad news. I also miss Fred. Has Fred been working hard for y'all? Tell him that I don't expect anything less from him even though the war has ended. It'll take a miracle for me to actually let him have rights. Anyways, I can't wait to see your beautiful blue eyes and dad's obnoxiously huge muscles.
Love you,
Andy Hatfield.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enlistment Blog

Dearest Susan,

Everyday I am away from you I become more and more longing for your sugar sweet voice and your soft embrace, and though I think of you every moment of the day I fear I cannot last much longer. This bloody war the north have started will, I fear, will be the death of the south and the safety of the black man. This war has thought me more than a school could ever teach a man. I was thinking of our little boy and I was wondering how his schooling was going and if he would like a rifle and the proper equipment, this would be hard to come by but if he found pleasure in these items I would be more than delighted to oblige.

Sincerely,
       Fred Bloom Jr.

Adoption day

Dear Susan, As you know today is my adoption day, but we are on the run from the dreadful yanks. My wonderful general has baked me and my regiments a cake to congratulate me. I broke down in tears at the thoughtfulness he shows even in such a dire time as this one. Our general has some humor and that is what we love about him, he wrote HAIL DIXIE on the cake. I hope y’all are really safe and that the yanks have not marched on our home. As we exit this dreadful time I really hope to see you again and until that time I will keep praying for your safety. With love Sergeant Fred Bloom Jr.